Search This Blog

Wednesday 23 March 2011

1 dead, 50 injured in Jerusalem bus bombing

Jerusalem bombing
There has been a bombing in Jerusalem, right near the Central Bus Station and "the Binyanei Ha'umah (National Convention Center).  There was some confusion at first, with reports of a suicide bomber on a bus. Eventually the reality emerged that it was a bomb in a bag left by a telephone booth, which according to reports was activated by remote control from a mobile phone.
Bus no. 74
We thought that a post-Purim had occurred but sadly news reaches us that one woman has been killed.
Three were injured seriously from the explosion itself, four moderately from shrapnel packed into the explosive device and the remainder in moderate to light condition.
The  31 injured were taken to Hadassah Ein Kerem, Hadassah Mount Scopus, Bikur Holim and Shaare Tzedek hospitals. All hospitals in the area were opened to receive casualties. One woman, 59, died from injuries sustained in the blast.
The bus that was hit as the bomb was exploded is the no. 74, the bus  my daughter takes to and from her sherut leumi (National Service) work in Bikur Holim hospital. Thank G-d she worked a bit late today so she wasn't on the bus. Of course, now she's stuck there until the buses are up and running again and the roads reopened. Her apartment is just behind the Binyanei Ha'umah (National convention center) . The kiosk where it happened is where she gets on and off the bus every day.
A 'blast' of a kiosk
The only lighter side of this story is that the kiosk is called פיצוץ של קיוסק - "a blast of a kiosk".  Be careful what you wish for!
My daughter's now very scared of going home. Many years ago (33 to be precise) I was on a bus that was bombed, although thank G-d I walked away with not a scratch. However it took me quite a while to be able to get back on a bus. In the end my best friend insisted that I can't just walk everywhere or stay home, so she took me by the hand and forced me onto a bus, right into the back where the bomb had been. We sat there for 2 bus stops till my shaking legs wouldn't hold me any more. But it broke my fear and after that I was able to travel by bus again. I still don't love buses, and I'm not happy at all in crowded places but I manage.
So I gave of my wisdom and experience to my daughter. I'm sure she'll be OK. To be honest I'm at least as terrified as her but I don't dare tell her. It's one thing to be frightened for yourself, a whole different ball game to be scared for your children.


No comments:

Post a Comment